Typically, someone or sometimes some thing, affiliated with the Sci-Fi Forum. You become a Forumite after willingly walking in and out of the Forum twice. The saying goes, "If you walk through the doors of the Forum once, you're a member. If you walk through twice you're a Forumite."
Classifications of Forumite
For the purposes of classifying people on this wiki we use the following definitions:
- Forumite, Member: Anyone who is affiliated with the Forum, whether or not they have actually entered the Forum.
Types of Forumites
More casual categories of Forumites include:
- Official Forumite: Although all manner of beings and circumstances can make one a Forumite in spirit and in the eyes of others there's only one way to become an official Forumite: walk throught the doors of the Forum twice.
- Official Member: "If you walk through the doors of the Forum once, you're a member. If you walk through twice you're a Forumite."
- Forum virgin: Anyone who has never entered the Forum.
- Officer: Someone who holds a position on the board of the Forum These include President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Head Librarian, Activities Coordinator(s), and System Administer(s).
- Non Forumite: The philosophy of the Forum is that basically every one is a Forumite. If you're not yet, you will be. If you won't be, you should be. Forumites have a non written policy of "passive assimilation", trying to reach out and connect with everyone and creating a group atmosphere that is inclusive. So really, even "non Forumites" are really just "Forumites... not yet".
- Active Forumite: A Forumite who is currently active in the Forum, loitering in the lounge area, attending events, and participating in meetings.
- Technical Forumite: A Forumite who resembles a non Forumite in all ways except that they have met the bare minimum requirements of walking through the Forum doors twice. Often a Technical Forumite simply walks in and out twice in a row satisfy the technicality and never returns again. Sometimes they are tricked into it unsuspectingly by a Forumite who only reveals the rules after it has occured. There was once a controversy over whether the willingness of the person entering (or being taken into) the Forum was a factor.
- Alumni Forumite: A Forumite who once once an active member but has graduated or otherwise moved on. "Once a Forumite, always a Forumite", so the bylaws of the Forum stipulate that one does not have to be a student to vote in Forum meetings. Many alumni become inactive Forumites, but some remain active. Some alumni have gone on to achieve various degrees of fame, the rare one becoming a somewhat famous Forumite.
- Honorary Forumite: Some Forumites have never been in the Forum but have been given the status of honorary Forumite due to being held in great esteem by Forum members. Recipients of the Gallun Award are also considered honorary Forumites.
- Unofficial Forumite: Some Forumites have never actually been in the Forum but have hung out with so many Forumites or been to so many Forumite parties or other events that they may as well be considered a Forumite.
- Inactive Forumite: Forumites who due to graduating, moving, becoming disenchanted or other reasons, no longer frequent the lounge, meetings, or events. If they have become so disenchanted with the Forum that they intend to avoid in forever, they are considered ex Forumites.
- Fringe Forumite, Peripheral Forumite: A Forumite who is not very active, but will attend the occasional Forum related event.
- 1st generation Forumite, 2nd generation Forumite, etc.: 1st gen Forumites have had children who went on to become Forumite, who are themselves considered 2nd gen Forumites. 3rd, 4th, etc. are of course possible. Sometimes 2nd gen is used to refer to the child of two Forumites who marry and procreate, whether or not that child has gone on to become a Forumite.
- Banished Forumite: Despite the Forum's incredible degree of inclusiveness and gracious attitude towars those with weak social skills, the occasional Forumite is banished due to bad behavior, usually after a prolonged attempt at reformation.
- Grumpy old Forumite: Forumites who are typically either alumni or at least super seniors, and like to complain about the current state of affairs in the Forum and how everything was much better in their day.